Catholic Community of
North Harbour Parish
The Catholic Community of North Harbour comprises the former parishes of Manly Vale and Balgowlah, both of which were part of the original parish of Manly. The Augustinians accepted responsibility for St Kieran’s, Manly Vale, in 1952 at the invitation of Cardinal Norman Gilroy, Archbishop of Sydney.
The Augustinians agreed to establish a new boys’ school within 3 years and St Augustine’s College at Brookvale opened its doors in 1956. In those early years, the parish extended to Forestville which became a separate parish in 1959. A church hall built at Brookvale in 1955 served as a Mass centre for many years.
The foundational value of the Parish Vision is Community, realised through the Augustinian values of interiority, searching and love. Friendship, hospitality and welcome, social outreach and liturgical celebration give expression to this community ideal. Over many years the Parish has had a strong RCIA Program and this is complemented by a growing Alpha Program. High priority is given to liturgy and a new church completed in 1968 has stood the test of time, designed as it is in accordance with the liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council.
In 1986 the area became part of the newly-formed Diocese of Broken Bay and in 2006 the Parishes of St Kieran’s Manly Vale and St Cecilia’s Balgowlah merged to become the Catholic Community of North Harbour. Our Parish Schools give strong witness to our Faith and around 200 children from Catholic and government schools in the Parish complete the Sacramental Program each year with the enthusiastic support of their families.
In a difficult age for the Church, the Catholic Community of North Harbour fosters goodwill, humility and a positive spirit among parishioners as it seeks to spread the Joy of the Gospel.Click here to visit the parish website.